Blog Moved

Friday, November 30, 2012

Extracting WAVs from VOB Files

The Station to Station box set contains a DVD with hi-resolution digital rips of the album, including one in 96/24. Since I play all of my digital stuff through a Logitech Transporter, I needed to rip those files to the media server. Here's how I did it.

First, I used mplayer to rip the VOB files from the DVD. These files have trivial video in them, so that has to be removed. The command to do that is:

ffmpeg -i <infile.vob> -acodec pcm_s24le <outfile.wav>

The audio codec here is the usual one for 24-bit audio, as you can see if look at a wav generated from a flac file. E.g.:

# ffmpeg -i 01-statesboro_blues.wav
...
Input #0, wav, from '01-statesboro_blues.wav':
Duration: 00:04:19.94, bitrate: 4608 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Audio: pcm_s24le, 96000 Hz, 2 channels, s32, 4608 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified


Note that this is independent of the sampling rate, so it works for 48/24 files, as well.

So now I had a bunch of 96/24 wavs, which I could convert to flac in the usual way.

4 comments:

  1. I use Avdshare Video Converter to Convert any VOB, including the encrypted VOB, to WAV for any WAV-compatible application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not easy to use code with ffmpeg to extract audio from vob file. Maybe below guide can give you another train of thought on how to rip and extract audio from DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to use this online converter then you can transfer various file formats;

    Files Converter Online

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, but they are expected to be civil.
Please don't bother spamming me. I'm only going to delete it.